Wednesday, May 9, 2007

After One Month...

So, it's been a little more difficult than I expected to post on here with work and travels over the last month. I am going to try again for a weekly update on minor leaguers with some MLB and College articles sprinkled in periodically.

A couple brief thoughts off the cuff:

1. The guy right here is REALLY good
While I have no written proof that I pegged Gallardo as one of my favorite prospects for this year, my Lawyer's League fantasy team targeted and landed both Gallardo and Garza during our draft back in mid-March. The only reason he (and Lincy, for that matter)was left off of our Top 15 list is there was no reason to think he'd force the issue so quickly. Most would agree Gallardo was one of the top strikeout pitchers in the minors, but the Brewer's pitching staff did not look like it was going to provide any opportunity for Yovani to cut his teeth. Mix in the fact that Villanueva looked lights out last year, and would likely get the first shot at any opening in the rotation, and I figured Gallardo was probably a long shot to see any significant time before the second half of the season (although I admittedly made the loony prediction that Gallardo would be up in May in an earlier post). Now that Villanueva is thriving in the bullpen (and so far as we know, not being considered for starting duties), a late-May/early-June call-up does not seem nearly as crazy. I for one hope to see him up sooner, rather than later. Heaven knows my Fantasy Team could use him, even if the Brewers don't quite yet.

2. Braun should be up for interleague games.
Sticking with the Brewers, it would make a lot of sense to bring Braun up for the nine upcoming interleague games in the AL. Stick him in the DH spot and see if his bat is indeed worth the sacrifice on defense. As my pick to win the central, I'd greatly appreciate it if the Brewers did not wait for a prolonged losing streak to start thinking about these changes (see Gallardo above).

3. Garza is sliding.
While I do not concede that I was off on my projections for Garza, I do recognize that he has fallen behind Slowey and Perkins as next in line to replace in inevitable Ponson-trainwreck. His strikeout totals remain impressive, but his command is still off. I'd like to see a couple of weeks worth of dominating starts before I start campaigning for a promotion to the bullpen. Last year Garza seemed to tire by the end of the season, and it may not be a bad idea to let him finish one more full season at AAA before pushing him back into ML service. That said, if the Twins need the arms, Garza has the mental make-up to get over any setbacks he may face with another slightly premature call-up.

4. Shealy and Pence vs. Young and Gordon
Anyone want to take the bet that Shealy and Pence will combine for better numbers than Young and Gordon (the two front runners for AL Rookie of the Year one short month ago)?

I hope to convince a buddy of mine to post some thoughts up here from time to time. Either way, I will be posting both of our predictions for each team, division winners, pennant winners, World Series champ, MVPs, CYs, and ROYs. Looking forward to a nice steak, MJ...

No comments: